The Ultimate Gift

I love that my Dad's family is so much fun, so generous, so full of smart, interesting people, who really seem to like each other. Or at least they fake it real well for the one weekend every couple of years that we have a family reunion.

Another reason the reunion is such fun is that it happens at his cousin's house, a circa 1780 plantation house that was used in the movie, The Ultimate Gift, several years ago. (It's a sappy, feel-good movie, you can feel comfortable watching with everyone from the kids to the grandmothers. But the scenery and setting are fabulous!)

P1130549
The Big House

We've been going to these reunions for many years, but this year, for the first time, we got to stay at the Big House, as it's known. (Usually they run out of room in the Big House with members of my dad's generation, but a broken leg opened up a bedroom this year. Sorry, Joan! We'd have traded the plaid room to have you with us!)

So, here's what a 1780 Southern plantation house looks like in 2012. (Yes, it has indoor plumbing, electricity--even WiFi!)

P1130557

The foyer stairs. I fell down the top section. No, I was stone-cold sober. It happened the morning we were leaving. I think I just didn't want to go.

P1130558
Living room (or is it a Parlor?) fireplace. It's big enough to roast a goat.

P1130559
Victorian settee filled to overflowing with a 21st century oversized teenager.

P1130548
The Upstairs Hall, the door leads to the balcony you can see on the front of the house.

P1130547
The plaid room. It was also in the movie, but I'm sure now they're planning on a plaque that reads: Chris and Karen slept here.

P1130543
Plaid room wooden ceiling. I LOVE this!

P1130544
Built-in shelves with old (though not 1780 old) toys

P1130545
The view from the plaid room. So peaceful!

P1130556
My favorite yard art!

I'm already looking forward to the next reunion. Hope we get to stay at the Big House again!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Donkey with a death wish

The cats who killed Christmas

Nana goes to college